This Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake is so delicious and full of rich chocolate flavor. It is super soft and moist and topped with a luscious chocolate ganache. This pound cake has the most amazing texture and a family favorite.
This chocolate sour cream pound cake is incredibly delicious. It has a rich chocolate flavor and is topped with a delicious chocolate ganache. Is soft and so moist and has the most amazing texture.
For more chocolate cake recipes, try Chocolate Mascarpone Cake, Banana Sponge Cake and Nutella Loaf Cake.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Chocolate Sour Crean Pound Cake: This pound cake is super soft and delicious, with a rich chocolate flavor.
- Chocolate Ganache: The pound cake is topped with a chocolate ganache.
- Simple decoration: This cake is simply decorated with the ganache, making for a no-fuss kinda of cake.
These are some of the key ingredients for this recipe. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Butter: Let the butter come to room temperature before using it.
- Eggs: Let the eggs come to room temperature before baking.
- Sour cream: Sour cream makes for a a super soft and tender cake. Measure out the sour cream and let it come to room temperature.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate for the ganache.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here is how to make and bake these Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake. This recipe needs a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or a hand mixer. You will need 23 x 13 cm (9x5 in) loaf pan lined with baking paper.
The full recipe is down below in the recipe card.
Before starting preheat the oven to 160ºC/ 320ºF conventional oven. Prepare a 23 x 13 cm (9x5 in) loaf pan lined with baking paper.
STEP 1: Sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
STEP 2. In a mixing bowl, use the paddle attachment, add the butter and granulated sugar and mix it on high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 3. Scape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time and mix them in until combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix it in.
STEP 4: Continue by adding ½ of the flour mixture and mix it in. Then add the sour cream and mix it in. Then add the other ½ of the flour mixture and give it a final mix until just combined.
STEP 5: Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake it for 1 hour and 25-30 minutes.
STEP 6: Let the cake cool on a cooling rack. After 10 min, gently remove the cake from the cake tin and let it cool down completely.
STEP 7: For the ganache, add the chocolate and heavy cream to a bowl and melt it together in the microwave or over a bain-marie. Stir until combined. Pour the ganache over the pound cake.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
- Use a kitchen scale: My default setting for my recipes is grams. It is the most precise way of measuring out your ingredients, I therefore highly recommend using a kitchen scale.
- Don't over mix your batter: I always use a spatula after everything has mixed together, to give it one final gentle fold together. This makes sure everything in the bottom of the mixing bowl has been mixed into the batter.
- Light vs. dark baking pans: For the best result, use an aluminum baking pan, greased with butter and lined with baking paper in the bottom. Aluminum pans are light in color and therefore attract less heat. That means it bakes more gently which results in a softer cake. If you use a black baking pan it'll attract a lot more heat. That will then give a darker crust, which can result in a dryer cake.
I recommend using a cake tester. Once the time has passed, per the recipe, insert the cake tester in the middle of the cake and once it comes out clean, with no cake batter on it, then it's done.
Yes, make the cake as instructed. Once cooled down store it in an airtight container. Make the ganache when you're ready to serve.
Store the Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake on the kitchen counter in an airtight container. Enjoy the cake within a 2-3 days for the best result.
Other Sheet and Loaf Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @juliemarieeats. To get more ideas by following me on Pinterest.
Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 23 x 13 cm (9x5 in) loaf pan
CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
- 170 g all-purpose flour
- 70 g dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon espresso powder optional
- ½ + ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 200 g butter room temperature
- 350 g granulated sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g sour cream room temperature
CHOCOLATE GANACHE (OPTIONAL)
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 130 g heavy cream
CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM POUND CAKE
- Preheat the oven at 160ºC/320ºF conventional oven and prepare a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt and set it aside.170 g all-purpose flour, 70 g dutch process cocoa powder, 1 ½ teaspoon espresso powder, ½ + ¼ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- In a mixing bowl, use the paddle attachment, add the butter and granulated sugar and mix it on high speed for 3 minutes.200 g butter, 350 g granulated sugar
- Scape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs one at a time and mix them in until combined. Add the vanilla extract and mix it in.4 eggs, 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Continue by adding ½ of the flour mixture and mix it in. Then add the sour cream and mix it in. Then add the other ½ of the flour mixture and give it a final mix until just combined. Scape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure all the ingredients have been incorporated.200 g sour cream
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan. Take a butter knife and insert it into the top of the batter in the loaf pan and run it a straight line down the middle of the batter. This way the pound cake gets a perfect crack in the middle. Bake it for 1 hour and 25-30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool on a cooling rack. After 10 min, gently remove the cake from the cake tin and let it cool down completely.
- Add the chocolate and heavy cream to a bowl and melt it together in the microwave or over a bain-marie. Stir until combined. Pour the ganache over the pound cake and it’s ready to be enjoyed.150 g dark chocolate, 130 g heavy cream
If I wanted to make this as a sheet cake what should I change for the cooking temp and time?
Keep the cooking temperature the same but reduce the cooking time to between 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean 🙂
Amazing, rich, chocolate flavour!
Easy to make and it’s delicious! The family loved it. Will definitely make it again!
Hello. What size loaf tin do you need, a 1lb or a 2lb? I'm guessing from the amount of mixture it's s 2lb tin
Yes a 2 lb 🙂
Wonderful chocolate cake. Will make it soon again.
Thank you for this recipe! The cake is very soft and delicious, my family loved it 🙂
This recipe is so so good! Highly recommend it