These Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes are incredibly delicious. They have a super soft and rich chocolate cupcake that is topped with the most luscious chocolate fudge frosting you’ll ever try. It's so smooth and soft and takes no time to make. This easy recipe is gonna be your new go to chocolate cupcake recipe and is perfect for any chocolate lover.
These delicious chocolate fudge cupcakes are super easy to put together and takes no time at all to make and they are full of chocolate flavor. They have an incredibly soft chocolate cupcake and are topped with a silky smooth dark chocolate fudge frosting.
These moist chocolate fudge cupcakes are incredibly easy to make. Both the cupcakes and the frosting takes no time to stir together and you will want make these again and again. This chocolate fudge cupcake recipe is beyond amazing and they are perfect for any occasion like birthdays, a baby shower or any other celebration.
For more cupcake recipes, try Tiramisu Cupcake, Peach Cupcakes and Banoffee Cupcakes.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Chocolate fudge frosting: The most luscious chocolate fudge frosting is your new go-to chocolate frosting! It is quick and easy to make and it'll make you want to make these cupcakes over and over again.
- Chocolate cupcake: The chocolate cupcakes are incredibly soft and so quick and easy to make
- Easy and quick recipe: It's an incredibly easy and fast recipe to make
These are some of the key ingredients for these chocolate fudge cupcakes. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Sweetened condensed milk: Sweetened condensed milk makes this chocolate fudge frosting super creamy and flexible in texture.
- Dark chocolate chips: I recommend a semi-sweet chocolate so it is not too bitter a dark chocolate, for this recipe.
- Eggs: Take the eggs out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking (depending how warm your kitchen is).
- Sour Cream: Sour cream makes for a softer and more tender cupcake. Measure out the sour cream and let it come to room temperature 1-2 hours before baking (depending how warm your kitchen is).
- Boiled water: Heat up a kettle of water before you start. Add the boiled water to a measuring cup and while you prepare the rest of the ingredients, let it cool down a bit, so it's not piping hot.
- Cocoa powder: I use high quality dutch processed cocoa powder for the best flavor, my favorite is from Valrhona.
- Instant espresso powder: I use Nescafe Gold espresso powder as it dissolves quickly and as a great flavor as it's 100% arabica coffee
- Vegetable oil: Use a flavor neutral oil, such as canola.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS - CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
Here is how to make and bake these hot chocolate cupcakes. For this recipe you only need a hand whisk and a spatula. You will need a 12-cup cupcake pan and cupcake liners.
The full recipe is down below in the recipe card.
STEP 1: Melt all of the ingredients together in a pot over medium heat. With a spatula, constantly fold the mixture together as it heats up. Once all of it has melted and combined, transfer it to a sallow bowl, so it can cool down faster, and cover it with plastic wrap, that touches the surface of the frosting.
STEP 2: Let it cool down to room temperature in the fridge while making the cupcakes.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS - CUPCAKES
Before starting preheat the oven to 160ºC/ 320ºF conventional oven. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners.
STEP 1: Start by boiling some water and weigh out the water so it can cool down a bit while preparing the other ingredients.
STEP 2: In a large mixing bowl sift all of dry ingredients together. Give it a stir to make sure everything has be combined. In a separate large bowl add all of the wet ingredients, including the hot water, and with a hand whisk, whisk them together until combined. Be sure to not mix the ingredients too vigorously so the eggs don’t get over mixed.
STEP 3: Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry while gently stirring it all together. Make sure there is no lumps left in the batter. Divide the cake batter into the 12 cupcake liners and bake them for 20-23 minutes.
STEP 4: Let the cupcakes cool in the hot pan on a wire rack. After 5 min, gently remove the cupcakes from the cupcake pan and let them cool down completely.
STEP 5: Add the frosting to a piping bag with a star piping tip. Pipe the frosting of the cupcake.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
- Use a kitchen scale: My default setting for my recipes is grams. It is the most precise way of measuring out your ingredients, I therefore highly recommend using a kitchen scale.
- Don't over mix your batter: I always use a spatula after everything has mixed together, to give it one final gentle fold together. This makes sure everything in the bottom of the mixing bowl has been mixed into the batter.
- Light vs. dark baking pans: For the best result, use an aluminum baking pan, greased with butter and lined with baking paper in the bottom. Aluminum pans are light in color and therefore attract less heat. That means it bakes more gently which results in a softer cake. If you use a black baking pan it'll attract a lot more heat. That will then give a darker crust, which can result in a dryer cake.
- Decorating the cupcakes: I use a star piping tip placed inside a piping large piping. If you don't have that specific piping tip you can use any other you'd wish to use.
Yes, these cupcakes last well in an airtight container, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Yes, follow the recipe and bake them for 8-10 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature. It's best enjoyed within 3 days.
Other Cupcake Recipes To Try
Make sure to tag me on Instagram @juliemarieeats and leave me a review below if you made this cake. I hope you loved it! To get more ideas by following me on Pinterest.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- 150 gram powdered sugar
- 150 gram butter cut into small cubes
- 200 gram dark chocolate chopped
- 250 g sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 g boiling water
- 160 g all-purpose flour
- 200 g sugar
- 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 120 g sour cream room temperature
- 75 g vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
CHOCOLATE FUDGE FROSTING
- Melt all of the ingredients together in a pot over medium heat. With a rubber spatula, constantly fold the mixture together as it heats up. Once all of it has melted and combined, transfer it to a sallow bowl, so it can cool down faster, and cover it with plastic wrap, that touches the surface of the frosting. Let it cool down to room temperature in the fridge while making the cupcakes.150 gram powdered sugar, 150 gram butter, 200 gram dark chocolate, 250 g sweetened condensed milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 160ºC/320ºF conventional oven and line a 12-cup cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners.
- Start by boiling the water and weigh out the water so it can cool down a bit while preparing the other ingredients.120 g boiling water
- In a bowl sift all of dry ingredients together. Give it a stir to make sure everything has be combined.160 g all-purpose flour, 200 g sugar, 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt
- In another mixing bowl add all of the wet ingredients, including the boiled water, and with a hand whisk, whisk them together until combined. Be sure to not mix the ingredients too vigorously so the eggs don’t get over mixed.120 g sour cream, 75 g vegetable oil, 2 large eggs, 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry while gently stirring it all together. Make sure there is no lumps left in the batter.
- Divide the cake batter into the 12 cupcake liners and bake them for 20-23 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool in the hot pan on a wire rack. After 5 minutes, gently remove the cupcakes from the cupcake pan and let them cool down completely.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag with a star piping tip, e.g. Wilton 1M. Pipe the frosting of the cupcakes.
This fudge frosting is to die for!
Would be nice to have a low-fat recipe. Some of us have Medical Conditions and have restricted dietary meals. Thank you
Oh wow, just try this recipe. The topping is LUSH!
Perfection - the most indulgent cupcakes that are easy to make.
When to add the boiling water into the batter
Together with the other wet ingredients 🙂 I've updated the recipe so it's more clear
A very easy recipe to follow with the step by step instructions. Under every step, there is a reminder of which ingredients and the amount, so you don’t have to scroll and look back.
I served them to my colleagues and every single one of them loved the cupcakes.
And so did I.
These cupcakes have the most delicious icing!!
Tried the buttercream and it was P H E N O M E N A L🌷
So easy to make and pipe and it melts in your mouth just like the best ones!