This Strawberry Vanilla Cake is so fresh and full of delicious strawberry flavor. It has a moist vanilla cake that is topped with a smooth vanilla buttercream and fresh strawberries that is mixed together with strawberry jam. This cake taste of summer and is super easier to make.
This strawberry vanilla cake is such a delicious treat and the texture of the cake is so soft and fluffy. Strawberry season is one of my favourite seasons and this fluffy vanilla cake is full of delicious vanilla flavor and topped with a delicious strawberry filling and a vanilla buttercream. This is a simple one layer cake is inspired by a strawberry shortcake.
This strawberry vanilla cake is the perfect cake for spring and summer days, valentine's day, baby showers and other celebrations.
For more easy recipes, try Blueberry Chocolate Cake, Almond Raspberry Cake and Lemon Pistachio Cake.
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
- Strawberry topping: This strawberry topping is so delicious and is full of flavor. Fresh strawberries are mixed together with your favorite strawberry jam.
- Vanilla cake: This vanilla cake is so easy to make and is so soft!
- Vanilla Buttercream: The cake is topped with a super smooth vanilla buttercream that has lots of beautiful vanilla beans specks all throughout the buttercream.
These are some of the key ingredients for this recipe. For a full list of ingredients, check out the recipe card below.
- Butter: Take it out of the fridge 1-2 hours before baking (depending how warm your kitchen is).
- Eggs: Let the eggs come to room temperature before baking.
- Sour cream: Sour cream makes for a softer and more tender cupcake. I recommend using a sour cream with fat content of around 18%. Measure out the sour cream and let it come to room temperature 1-2 hours before baking (depending how warm your kitchen is).
- Vanilla bean paste: Vanilla bean paste can be found in many different supermarkets. Vanilla paste is great cheaper alternative to using a whole vanilla bean. It has a more intense flavor compared to vanilla extract + it has all the beautiful vanilla bean speaks.
- Strawberries: Use fresh strawberries for the topping.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS - CAKE
Here is how to make and bake these Strawberry Vanilla Cake. This recipe needs an electric mixer. You can use either a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or an electric hand mixer. You will also need a 20x20 square baking pan lined with baking paper.
The full recipe is down below in the recipe card.
Before starting preheat the oven to 170ºC/ 340ºF conventional oven. Prepare a 20x20 square baking pan with parchment paper.
STEP 1: Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set it aside. In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or in a bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, and granulated sugar and mix it on high speed for 3 minutes.
STEP 2: Add the eggs one at a time into the mixture and mix it in until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and continue by adding the dry ingredients, continuing on low speed, mixing until just combined.
STEP 3: Finally add the sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla bean paste and and mix until just combined, make sure not to over mix the cake batter. Pour the cake into the prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Once baked let it cool down on a cooling rack.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS - BUTTERCRAM AND STRAWBERRIES
STEP 1: Mix the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer for 4 minutes on medium/high speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
STEP 2: Add the powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, vanilla extra and whole milk in 2 parts. Whipping until each addition is fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give the buttercream a final mix for 2 minutes.
STEP 3: Dice the strawberries into small pieces. In a bowl mix together the diced strawberries and the strawberry jam.
STEP 4: Add the vanilla buttercream to the cooled cake and spread it out in an even layer using an offset spatula. Top the buttercream with the strawberries and it is ready to be served.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
- Use a kitchen scale: My default setting for my recipes is grams. It is the most precise way of measuring out your ingredients, I therefore highly recommend using a kitchen scale.
- Don't over mix your batter: I always use a spatula after everything has mixed together, to give it one final gentle fold together. This makes sure everything in the bottom of the mixing bowl has been mixed into the batter.
- Light vs. dark baking pans: For the best result, use an aluminum baking pan, greased with butter and lined with baking paper in the bottom. Aluminum pans are light in color and therefore attract less heat. That means it bakes more gently which results in a softer cake. If you use a black baking pan it'll attract a lot more heat. That will then give a darker crust, which can result in a dryer cake.
Yes, replace it 1:1 with full-fat Greek yogurt.
Yes, place the frosted cake in the fridge covered by plastic wrap or in an airtight container. Then wait to add the strawberries until right before serving.
I recommend using a cake tester. Once the time has passed, per the recipe, insert the cake tester in the middle of the cake and once it comes out clean, with no cake batter on it, then it's done.
Store the frosted cake in the fridge covered by plastic wrap or in an airtight container. Wait to add the strawberries until right before serving. It's best enjoyed within a few days.
Other Sheet Cake Recipes To Try
Make sure leave a STAR REVIEW if you loved this recipe! Make sure to tag me on Instagram @juliemarieeats. To get more ideas by following me on Pinterest.
Strawberry Vanilla Cake
- 90 g butter room temperature
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 180 g all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 120 g sour cream room temperature
- 30 g vegetable oil e.g. canola oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 100 g butter room temperature
- 165 g powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon whole milk room temperature
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoon smooth strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven at 170ºC conventional oven and prepare a 22x20 cm square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set it aside.180 g all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or in a bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, and granulated sugar and mix it on high speed for 3 minutes.90 g butter, 150 g granulated sugar
- Add the eggs one at a time into the mixture and mix it in until combined.2 large eggs
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue by adding the flour mixture, continuing on low speed, mixing until just combined.
- Finally add the sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla bean paste and and mix until just combined, make sure not to over mix the cake batter.120 g sour cream, 30 g vegetable oil, 2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Using a rubber spatula, give the batter a gentle fold to make sure all of the ingredients have combined.
- Pour the cake into the prepared pan and bake for 28-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool on a cooling rack. After 10 minutes, gently remove the cake from the cake tin and let the cakes cool down completely.
- Sift the powdered sugar and set it aside.
- Mix the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer for 4 minutes on medium/high speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for an additional 2 minutes.100 g butter
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, vanilla extra and milk in 2 parts. Whipping until each addition is fully incorporated.165 g powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla paste, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon whole milk
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and give the buttercream a final mix for 2 minutes.
- TIP: If serving with 1 hour assembling, mix together the strawberries and jam and spoon it over the cake. If not, store the frosted cake in the fridge in an air-tight container or covered by plastic wrap and wait to add the strawberries until you’re ready to serve.
- Dice the strawberries into small pieces. In a bowl mix together the diced strawberries and the strawberry jam.250 g fresh strawberries, 2 tablespoon smooth strawberry jam
- Add the vanilla buttercream to the cooled cake and spread it out in an even layer. Top the buttercream with the strawberries and it is ready to be served.
Iben Pernille Nielsen
This cake is absolutely delicious. It is summer in a cake with the strawberries. And it’s so easy to make. I had to bake mine a little longer than 30 minutes. We all loved it!
This was absolutely delicious! I actually liked it better when it had been sitting a bit and the cake had a chance to soak up some of the strawberry juices. As a US cook, I also appreciate the metric measurements, which made this so much easier to throw together. I will definitely make this again. Thank you!
Please include the option for the US conversion of ingredients. Thx. 🙂
Thank you for informing me. It was accidentally turned off, but you can now see the US conversions 🙂